Tuesday, May 4, 2021

SLC - eating on the go with someone else

 No more eating on the go. Joyce arriving Wednesday night means I have to be somewhat civilized in my daily travel routine. At the very least, it means frequenting cafes in the AM and bars in the PM now and probably fewer meals centered around leftovers. 
Starting with Blue Copper where I just got some local RTD bevvies because that's my favorite souvenir to collect.
Can recommend the kombucha. Sadly underwhelmed by sparkling coffee. I think it would've been better with some sweetener.


We returned to Arempas for a quick lunch option between Thursday meetings. I don't usually prefer to return to the same place when traveling, but Joyce had to know. Also I initially wanted to try the arepas, and I'm so glad I went back for them. This is the pabellon - shredded beef, fried plantain, beans and cheese - and it was glorious.
pc Joyce because mine was falling apart...
Beans raining everywhere. But I still ate every single one.

I passed by this ice cream truck when I ended up at the mall while wandering around the city on my own, and I stopped to check it out. Because any establishment with "lab" in the name always catches my attention. And I thought to myself "No, Joyce will want to go here." Because it's ice cream.
And sure enough, here she is double fisting our nice little pre-dinner appetizer. One hand coffee and graham cracker milk swirl with peanut brittle and waffle cone pieces. Other hand blackberry and vegan vanilla swirl with honeycomb. Light and refreshing as they were, the ice creams were easily overpowered by the toppings. Though maybe not the worst thing because the waffle cone pieces and honeycomb were excellent.

Drove around in the rain in search of snacks until we landed in Purgatory.
Got acquainted with a Tall Dark & Handsome (scotch, coffee liquor, walnut bitters, topped with nitro stout) and some Dynamite Musubi (spam, rice, spicy mayo, blue nori flakes, scallions, chives).
Also featuring K-pop fries (soy braised brisket, kimchi, mozz, scallions, cilantro, pickled red onions, crema, gochu-mayo) with fries that could've been hotter, but they make great cold leftovers to munch on while driving to some salt flats at 5am.

No comments:

Post a Comment