Wednesday, May 12, 2021

SLC - eating on the go with someone else part 2

Don't mind us. We got up at 5am to drive 2hrs, so I was not of sound body or mind.
Why?
To catch the sunrise over the Bonneville Salt Flats.
Maybe we should've done some research because we ended up at the edge of a lot of dissolved salt.


We drove all the way back after our failed mission to drown our sorrows in a fancy coffee set up and biscuit sammies.
Look at that crusty edge. And the cheese ooze. And the pickle. I'm the are-you-gonna-eat-your-pickle friend.

Whenever I wake up early, I marvel at how much I can accomplish in the day. I mean, I'm often also dying and fantasizing about my bed while completing these accomplishments... but still! We found the Up house (inspired by the movie, not the other way around sadly) in the middle of a typical suburban development. I was unconvinced we had the right address as we got closer... and then I saw the pastel colors in a sea of grays and neutral greens.
We crawled up a neverending hill that surrounded a highway. Making it to the snowy patches before calling it quits, winded and sweaty and tired. And then a man came out of nowhere jogging down the trail with his dog. Some people make fitness look so easy.
We dated ourselves at the High School Musical school, where we sketchily circled the school for a place to park and get a quick picture... in front of all the judging eyes of Gen Z'ers. And one fully outfitted security guard. Oh how times have changed since the days I was still wishing I'd shrivel up and die in high school.

I think if anyone down the line asks me for food recs in SLC, I'd get real close and whisper in your ear: Papito Moe's.
Specifically the pernil (roasted pork) mofongo. They got me with the chicharrones mashed into the plantains. And those chunky yucca fries. And garlic oil that's just minced garlic in oil.

My poor stomach needed a break. My entire body needed a nap. The clear solution to this was to go down the street to TF Brewing and unfurl in one of their adirondack chairs around a monstrous fireplace. 
Cute outdoor area is all you have to say to get me to any brewery. Cute glasses, neat coaster designs, and yummy sours don't hurt either.

Note to self: go back to SLC to camp on Antelope Island. There are bison freely roaming around right near the car camping areas! I was properly losing my mind. They were so casually grazing and socially distant, we almost didn't thin they were real until one of them took a few steps forward.
Also, the sunset was quite nice.

We capped off the night with some cocktails and nachos at Mortar & Pestle Bar.
Which incidentally is attached to Bay Area's Curry Up Now.
pc. Joyce

I literally can't remember what drinks we ordered, but I do remember they were good. Second only to the atmosphere. We forgot how nice it was to relax at a quiet bar together, chit chatting with the bartender, making friends in our heads. This is the part of going out that I do miss. Now if only capacity limitations is a thing that doesn't change.
pc. Joyce

No comments:

Post a Comment