Thursday, March 11, 2021

mushroom and toast

Ann and I have a resolution, and I'm finding it harder to hold to than I initially assumed. Yes, that is the nature of all resolutions isn't it.
Other resolutions-like things I'm trying on:
read 12 books
sew an item of clothing (can include mask)
dabble on the keyboard that Jennie, keeper of all hobbies, lent me
resume a daily yoga habit now that my room is rearranged
remake the failed cakes from last year
brunch cake (skipped it last year)
fix my sleep schedule to the way it used to be (to being asleep by 10p)


mushroom pine pate
1/2oz dried shiitake, soaked to soften, chopped
1/8c pine oil
1.5T butter
1/2 onion, diced
3/4lb fresh mushrooms (I used bellas and maitakes), chopped
1/4t dried parsley
1/2 T vermouth
1/2 T pine vodka
1t douenjang
1/8c pine nuts, lightly toasted

But wait. What do I eat pate with except sourdough? This is a slight detour to revisit my favorite sourdough combo of last summer: tagine loaf (olive + dates + preserved lemon).

Okay, back to the pate.
I have a stash of pine needles that I asked David to collect from a reputable tree long ago. I sanitized and washed them, which was an ordeal because turns out pine needles are pokey. And then I tried semi successfully to infuse it into random things. This is still a work in progress. But vodka was an excellent medium. Oil worked well in the Instantpot but will maybe grow mold otherwise. Either way, the end point is that Amelia has managed to accumulate more jars of things to forget about and dig up and forget about and dig up again... to fry mushrooms in.
Toast picnic spread with over easy eggs, mushroom pate, caramelized onions, pickled red onion, and baked sweet potatoes.
In nice slant lighting.

No comments:

Post a Comment