Thursday, June 4, 2020

eighty whoa already

I wanted french toast all night long. And I wanted exactly one slice for breakfast.



Which meant I wanted just enough batter for one slice of toast. Which only requires a fraction of an egg. I needed custard powder. The little Asian market within walking distance did not have it. Nor did it have pudding mix. But I wanted french toast. I paced up and down the aisles many times until I finally decided to get this douhua mix.
Two tablespoons of the stuff mixed with 1/4c milk makes for a decent batter for a slice of blueberry corn bread. Topped with cinnamon mascarpone cream.

The lunch project of the day was Vietnamese dressed rice cakes from Frankie.
Fry carrot in cilantro-garlic-ginger paste until softened. Add in one log of rice cakes. Eyeball in beef broth, soy sauce, fish sauce, honey, vinegar, lime, garlic to taste and simmer. Toss with pickled carrots, dice tomatoes, mint, and fermented basil. Serve over bed of romaine lettuce in an ideal world because the sauce was so intense.
Nibbled over the course of the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment