Saturday, February 24, 2018

TANKAJ bumped me with her truck and drove away





Some parts of California are almost too fitting to be real. That's how I feel when reading OverheardLA. Like, there can't be an actual real person who said these actual real words and actually really meant it... right? But it's believable.
Kinda like this "winter" ... was anyways. I mean, it's still not really "winter" by any standard of mine... even North Carolina gets snow on occasion. But there were some warm breezy days that made me stare at my calendar like February... that can't be right. It reminded me a bit of October in Santa Barbara.
Met Jenna down in Socal for an unintended Halloween weekend before they take her out of California. The goal wasn't to party with the undergrads; it was to check off another city to eat in - I know you're surprised.
Brunch at C'est Cheese because I saw a picture of something delicious, and I didn't know what it was, but I had to have it. I had to show it to the person at the counter to understand that it was the breakfast grilled cheese, where they punch on the middle and stuff it with greens. Broccoli bacon cheese was their special of the day. I mean, fewer food combos make me happier than pork and cruciferous veg.


Jenna's breakfast sandwich was all egg. Like they stuffed a tall egg flan between two crispy thin pieces of toast, and it's glorious. 

It fluctuates a lot, the weather. Not really a new concept for me, but still annoying. Especially in the city, where it's too hot for a jacket in the sun and too cold for not a jacket in the shade. That was kind of the mood after we got tacos at a hole-in-the-wall feel without literally being a hole in the wall, Lilly's Taqueria and walked all the way to the end of a pier to eat by the water. And it was quite chilly in the sun. But the view (minus the scary seagulls) was so nice.
Dessert was this ultra sweet tasting flight I thought would be a good idea at Figueroa Mountain Brewing. No individual regrets - just when combined. Santa Barbara has a nice, unexpected little square of wineries and breweries where we unsurprisingly met a group of college students who just turned 21. It made me wonder how many groups of newly 21 kids take over the Funk Zone on a weekly basis.


We had brunch at Dawn Patrol before strolling down the art fair on Cabrillo (and made the deliberate decision to begin replacing my stolen rings).
You could build your own hash there, so I did:
russet potato, peppers, onions
salmon
mushrooms, spinach, tomatoes, corn, cheddar
sunny side up eggs
herb aioli
Gloomy clouds followed us around all morning, but I'd rather that than sunshine and relentless wind. But at least there are no more snowstorms at my front door anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment