Sunday, September 11, 2016

this land is your land

I'm 10 years late, but I'm finally heading to the Best Coast. 

wish list bucket list
  • Rapid City (SD)
    • Badlands
    • Mt Rushmore
  • Bozeman (MT)
  • Missoula (MT)
    • Garden of 1000 Buddhas
    • Flathead Lake 
  • Lake Twentytwo (WA)
  • Lake Serene (WA)
  • Palouse Falls State Park (WA)
  • Columbia River Gorge (WA/OR border)
  • Crater Lake National Park (OR)
From Serious Eats
  • mahnomin porridge - Hell's Kitchen (Minneapolis)
  • Dungeness crab - Freshy's Seafood Market (Mercer Island, WA)
  • latte - Moore Coffee (Seattle)
  • halibut and chips - South Beach Fish Market (South Beach, OR)
Portland eats
  • Marukin Ramen
  • Andina*
  • Boxer Ramen - okonomiyaki tater tots
  • Sweedeedee - salted honey pie
  • Little T American Baker (across from Powell's Books)
  • Maurice - duck confit quiche
  • SuperBite
  • Pok Pok*
  • Tasty n Alder or Tasty n Sons*

Day one of the roadtrip wasn't bad. I now know that I can get away with only stopping twice for a 10ish hour trip (that included Badlands Loop). South Dakota looked exactly as I imagined it would look. With a more hilly highway than I expected. And the roads were reddish. And I can change from bra to sports bra on cruise control on a straight road with no other cars around... not sure what compelled me to need to do this. Also on a highway where the speed limit is 80mph (which was really rough for Sunny filled with all my shit), it was weird to watch every car tend back to the slow lane. Like they'd appear out of no where, creep up on me in the fast lane, I'd merge to the slow lane to let 'em pass, and they would before switching to the slow lane as soon as they could. What? The Badlands were incredible though. I felt a mix of Lion King and Grand Canyon. Up close, the rock formations looked made of dried mud and plaster. And the sunset. Un. Real. I was racing the sunset from Big Bandlands Overlook to the visitor center to Panorama Point. Got to Pinnacles Overlook and bounded around for half an hour or so, waiting for the sun to set. Climbed all the way out towards the sun until I couldn't see the parking lot... and then decided that maybe I shouldn't be a lonely female climbing on precarious rocks after dark around "Beware of rattlesnake" signs. Also those My Fave Murder podcasts really got to me. It was all for the best though because I saw a lonely buffalo in the distance from the designated overlook area. (Back track: drove by antelope or something that were just casually grazing right by the paved road, not giving a fuck about motor vehicles, while people were snapping pics. Amazing.) Anyways, pulling myself away from the overlook and those beautiful colors was difficult. But it had to be done, and now I'm lying in bed, crossing my fingers that overstuffed Sunny doesn't attract unwanted attention, and craving a Big Mac.

No comments:

Post a Comment