Wednesday, July 13, 2016

they see us rollin'

Summer Fave #2: rolling logs
Thank goodness I'm attracted to novelty and "weird" because I never would've ended up trying to befriend Abbey. And then I never would've ended up at Lake Wingra, attempting to run on a carpeted log (record = 25s). And then I never would've spent an entire smoldering hot but comfortably breezy Saturday watching competitive log rolling from 7 year olds to the elites. 
And Auntie Abs herself. Three matches before she had to come sit with me on the sidelines and eat my cherry mint salad.
Thank you cherry pitter and Jules' leftover mint.
And crumbled wafers on top.
mint and balsamic cherry salad
lots of cherries, pitted and halved
lots of mint leaves
sugar and white balsamic vinegar to taste

with poppy seed wafers crumble
adapted from Alton Brown
subbed flax seed egg for egg (i.e. 1T flax with 3T water)
added 1/2 t poppy seeds to flour mix

But competition weekends aside, Tuesdays are for Lager Loggers. An hour of wading around in muck and knee deep water during muggy evenings when being in the water is refreshing and welcomed. Some weeks are better than others. Some weeks are wetter than others. But all weeks are followed by another hour-ish of beer pitchers and my favorite Madison cheese curds at Gates&Brovi. [Where the pizzas are pretty satisfying and I didn't hate my mushroom and gorgonzola burger* - in fact, I quite liked it, sturdy but soft bun and tender patty.. but you definitely have to like gorgonzola because that was the dominant flavor.]
And if you make a bit more cherry salad than expected, have no fear. Throw it in a blender with an orange, honey, and some ice water and you've got a pretty good summer smoothie... or wafer dip.
I've already Googled log rolling in the Bay Area and no go... guess I'll have to get that up and running.. er, rolling then.

*

No comments:

Post a Comment