Saturday, February 20, 2016

on a roll

Weather gets a bad rep as far as "lame conversational topics" goes. The typical small talk example to avoid if you want to seem at all interesting. Why are we discussing the chance of rain when we could be sharing life stories and philosophies and secrets? But then again, why not when it has such a profound effect on my mood. I love when I can wake up with the sun. I love when it's randomly abnormally warm and sunny in February. I love when I can walk around with my jacket unzipped.


I used to relish my mornings. I used to enjoy the last moments of consciousness at night. It's been awhile since I felt like a functional and capable 24 year old adult-type person.
But capping off a week of struggles and too much chocolate with some fresh air, clean bed sheets, new song obsessions, and gas station Chinese BBQ (and still zero productivity and much procrastination.. so not really on a roll) .. doesn't make me feel any more functional.. but at least I didn't cry today.
I was told the best Chinese BBQ is at the gas station next to Imperial Garden.
Uh, what?
"And not 'good for Madison,' just good," she said.
"Don't order it from the restaurant," she said.
Naturally, I had to find out for myself.
There's a whole grocery store in this gas station! Like the sketchy, slightly cramped Asian kind of grocery store with the intermingling smells of seafood, weird produce, and intense spices. Where people are shouting across the aisles at each other in Cantonese or otherwise shuffling through the aisles without acknowledging each other. The bags of rice are always displayed at the front, and the lighting always seems a little depressing. But I kind of love it. Because no matter what city I'm in, I can always count on the familiarity of an Asian grocery store.
And all the way in the back corner is the universal sign of a Chinese establishment - whole roasted ducks hanging in a glass case. That's where I got a pound of char siu pork. I even ordered it in my awkward, broken, and unpracticed Chinese. They say to treat yourself from time to time, and that's exactly what I did by picking up a container of assorted Asian breads to go with the sweet and savory BBQ.
My source wasn't wrong. So good.

----

She said I really don't mind if you have to leave my side
Cause I've been made to walk alone all the way through my life
No one knows what comes after this
But I always hoped that it was you
I have to breathe
I want you//And nothing comes close//To the way that I need you//And I want you//From somewhere within
It feels like I'm drowning and I don't want to come up for air
And to my word now I'll be true
I can't stop this breaking loose
She said in my heart and in my head
Tell me why this has to end
I can't save us, my Atlantis, we fall
We built this town on shaky ground
We built it up to pull it down

Seafret

No comments:

Post a Comment