Monday, July 27, 2015

all gold everything

When I grow up, I want a garden just like Louis XVI.


Maybe it was walking around in the sun for several hours while slightly dehydrated.  Maybe it was getting lost on our way back to look for food (and then getting distracted by a pen full of barnyard animals).  Maybe it was having given up my search for food to rave about.  But this was the greatest mushroom omelet.  It was a struggle to stay away in the afternoon sun after scarfing this down.
Family getting in the way of pictures should be a trending Instagram hashtag.  But my eyes hurt from squinting so much that there was little motivation to try again.
Our last meal of Paris was at Le Petit Canard because it's a restaurant entirely devoted to duck.
Uh, yes please.
And what better to pair with duck than chestnut beer?

Moar snailss
Oeuf cocotte (soft boiled egg with cream, smoked duck breast, foie gras)
Offer than cannot be refused: 37€ tasting menu that includes a "fizzy wine like Champagne" aperitif, or more specifically known as Vouvray.
Entree of Charcuterie with smoked dried sausage, smoked breast, rillettes, and pate.  Nothing I didn't like.
Forced Alfred to eat a slice of sausage, and I think trust was restored.

Plat of sliced duck breast with tarragon sauce, potato and chestnut puree, bacon wrapped string beans, and mushrooms.
Dessert of cheeses.


Little brother went with "ze famous" duck a l'orange... mainly so I could try this classic dish without committing to it... just kidding.  Kind of.  Orange flavor was a bit overpowering, but I was happy to have the extra mushrooms.
Cassoulet with duck's leg and sausage in tomato sauce.
That charcuterie though.  It kind of made all the mediocre things I've ever eaten okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment