Wednesday, April 16, 2014

SXSW Trolling

We weren't dying to go to Cancun, so we went to Austin instead.  Ann had a vested interest in the tech scene, I had never been to a music festival, and Lydia is Texas native by birth.  We awkwardly traveled on three different airlines though - that was the result of some expert planning (no sarcasm).

We went to the Whole Foods flagship store basically every day.  I mean... it's huge.  There's a rooftop patio.  And it's huge.  There, I was introduced to the wonders of dried mulberries.  How do I go about getting a large bag of these?

Their menu says "What do we recommend?  Everything."  I'm not going to dispute it even though all I tried was the Pork Belly Banh Mi.  I can't decide if I liked the giant spiced waffle chips or the sandwich itself better.
I would've gotten a drink too if we weren't already going to Handlebar for a Mustache Maker (sadly without a mustache on the glass).

Breakfast tacos
I spent some time trying to remember/looking up where we went to get my bacon/egg/potato and chorizo/egg/cheese b-fast tacos without much luck.  But then I realized these things are everywhere, and a taco can only be so bad or so good for $2-3.  I'm just glad I didn't have to go searching for the things out of the back of some sketchy truck behind a Kroger's (still delish, must do, in Durham).

Pretty unexpectedly pricey seafood for a (literal) hole-in-the-wall stand we happened upon while being indecisive (surprise, surprise) about where to eat.  If you're in the mood for blackened crayfish, get the salad (not the taco) option.  Honestly, I only went for the salad for the mushrooms (which were raw anyways, meh) and the dressing (some sort of herb lime concoction I drowned in hot sauce) - and was repaid with half a carton full of little crayfish, snugly wrapped in foil.  I felt like a fisherman coming home on a good day.  It was a struggle to finish.  Mostly because I didn't want it to go away.  Because look how beautiful.

East Side King at SouthBites
"Dem buns" - thank you Yelp reviewer.  I didn't end up getting dem buns though because I already had pork belly.  Plus, a Brussels sprout salad never looked so good (garnished with a fried bun anyways).  I spent the entire line deciding between Brussels sprouts or beet fries (which were new and exciting, something I'd never seen before), even asking if I could get half and half because they were the same price anyways (nope), but the lady said the beet fries were too heavy and she never finished them (isn't there a term for food fatigue?).  I regretted nothing.  The sprouts were perfectly roasted and the slaw of veggies were refreshing and the fried bun was just enough to counter some slices of raw jalepeno.
And to top it off, I found one little beet fry mixed in, which I saved for last.  Good looking out.

Picturing Ann take a picture of her first Australian iced coffee with soy.  The memories.  The nostalgia.  The longing.

While Ann was off and away at her interview, Lydia and I were on the hunt for mimosas (even though it wasn't weekend brunch).  I dragged her to tamale house because I'm obsessed and she's never had one.  Got one chicken&tomatillo and one pork because they were like $2, and I'm indecisive and hungry (adjective for myself as a person, not a current state of being).  Actually ended up being more than I needed because tamales are surprisingly filling.  A third the weight was from the salsas I slathered on.  And Lydia said she was a fan - point goes to trying new things.

Went almost-naked and raw for our designated fancy/splurge dinner.  With the food, I mean.  All the waitress had to say was "known for our raw bar items."  Highly positive first experience with steak tartare complete with egg yolk and all other good things (cornichon, mustard, pepper).  I feel like I like it better than meat carpaccio.  Reasons why I would not be opposed to eating platefuls of sashimi - raw bass with avocado hiding underneath, jalepeno, and lemon.

Probably the most frustrating corned beef hash I've ever ordered.  Quick brunch before the free concert?  Not so fast, girls.  Warning sign #1 should have been when it took too long to get us coffee and waters.  We concluded they forgot our order when the dudes at the table next to us sent their (large) hashes back due to egg-overdoneness and got their second meals before we got our first (I ordered a small hash, come on).  Warning sign #2 should have been when random people started apologizing for the wait and our too-friendly-to-not-tip waiter avoided our table.  Ann and I intermittently went outside to catch glimpses of Aloe Blacc through the fence and over the crowds.  Halfway through my meal that finally arrived, I realized there was no sign of gruyere in my dish, and the salsa I specifically requested was forgotten.  We were displeased.  At least the peach jam was probably the most wonderful jam I've placed on my mouth.

Torchy's Tacos
Kept it vegetarian for our last meal in Austin when we were too late to get Texas BBQ (major bummmmmmmeeerrrrrrr).  More eggs with the Dirty Sanchez, and the fried portobello on the Independent won me over.  As always, sauces get my blood flowing.  Yeah, just get me one of each please.  I was quite disappointed it was over when it was - should have gotten three.

What is it that they say about variety being the spice of life?

No comments:

Post a Comment