Monday, April 3, 2023

bizarre dinner party series newsletter: spring greening

 The kickoff dinner in March was ~spring greening~ aka green party aka green table. Didn't even matter what was on the table, I felt healthy eating it because it was sooo green. I learned 10 is definitely the max comfortable limit for my home (and plate/random jars/utensils availability) and that it makes more sense to start a dinner at 4p rather than 2p.


My centerpiece was an interpretation of green eggs and ham. The green ham was Chinese red braised pork belly but made with fancy green tea from my dad so... 绿烧肉 (green-braised pork)? The green eggs were soft boiled eggs marinated for a couple days in kelp and spinach powder + cilantro. Only mildly upset the egg whites didn't turn out vibrant green like in my fantasies but turns out kelp powder doesn't stay vibrantly green forever even if packaged in an opaque bag.

Giant platter of shio koji pea shoot salad on the side (which I actually tested before committing to serving, which if some of you know me, almost never happens because I almost never make things more than once *congratulates self*)- with charred asparagus, pickled red onions, piles of green mint, scallion curls, parsley, and crispy shallots dusted in spinach salt.

Dessert was white chocolate matcha fallen souffle cake with matcha sesame brittle that I added after the top of the cake didn't form a nice crispy crunchy crust like I wanted it to. But the density of the cake was fudgey and brownie-like and nice, 10/10 would make again.

Bonus hors d'oeuvre courtesy of a mini haul of Dungeness crab scraps from work after a long hard day of eating and characterizing a bunch of seafood + important Amelia freezer staple of green peas = crab and pea croquette with mint.

Green contributions included things like shamrock dumplings, honeycomb pandan cake, two types of chicken with two types of green sauces, perilla pesto (stashing that into the mental archives for me to make) onigiri, leafy herby spanakopita, and refreshing mint lemonade 💚

No comments:

Post a Comment