Sunday, January 17, 2021

Debbie

Debbie used the phrase "a quarantine blessing," and I liked that. In a time when nothing seems to be right or easy for anyone, it's nice to recognize what still is. Like escaping the Bay even if it's only a couple hours away to hike and snack the day away. Maybe not the envisioned 30th birthday bash, but still a welcome change from sameness. Debbie identifies as a child of God, who grew up in a Taiwanese household. I met Debbie because she's Emily's roommate and is now the only new friend (and skating buddy!) I've made in quarantine.


So for Debbie's dumpling I ultimately knew I wanted to present turnip cakes in dumpling form. It also happens to be my must-have-favorite-first-thing-I-will-order-because-it's-so-craveable dim sum dish. These steamed and then fried blocks of starchy goodness are not actually made with turnips but Chinese radish (or daikon in Japanese) - basically look for the long or thick white root with green tops.
The rest of the filling is typical of what might go into a turnip cake you'd find at dim sum - shiitakes, dried shrimp, scallion - with two substitutions to pay tribute to the equally craveable foods Debbie also grew up with.
Pepperoni chunks instead of lapchong sausage to represent Bagel Bites, and a Caesar dressing-like sauce to represent Costco chicken bakes (made with oyster sauce, garlic, rice vinegar, mustard, parmesan, and white pepper).
Since rice flour and cornstarch are the binders in a turnip cake, I opted to make my evening difficult by experimenting with a mochi-like rice wrapper that's not so dissimilar to tangyuan. Believe me when I say these pinched half moon pockets were the best I could do. It's a miracle I even pulled any in tact ones out of the steamer.

Side note: dim sum (or yum cha) came to be in the tenth century when commercial travel became a bigger thing through Canton. Travelers would frequent teahouses looking for small bites to eat, and eventually the menu options expanded to over a thousand different offerings taking influence from other regions in China as well as foreign travelers.
Things I would do differently: make a better rice wrapper that doesn't fall apart, less mustard in the sauce, dice the pepperoni into smaller pieces.
 
Debbie's complete list:
mantou with pork floss and mayo
costco chicken bakes for lunch
bagel bites
turnip cakes
soups with globs of dough
NOT juiced raw potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment