Friday, January 27, 2023

rincon antigueno

I don't have a special title for this post because it is what it is, and this place was it.


Fresh tortillas being made in the entrance way.
Whole chickens, butterflied and slow roasted in the morning for lunch later that day.
We went to Eric's regular lunch spot for breakfast. Their menu was simple, straight forward.
The breakfast choices came with the option of coffee or atol, which is a warm corn drink. See my love for corn to know that of course I forwent coffee.
I have no point of comparison, but I have to imagine I would've liked the atol even more if it were thiccker.
And then I checked chile relleno off my list.
Guatemalan chile rellenos are a little less chile and a lot more relleno. Filled to the brim with shredded meat and veggies and coated in a thinner layer of batter. The chile part was almost imperceptible to me, basically just a film to keep the meet all together. Is this... a dumpling?
Standard breakfast comes with roasted sweet plantains (yes), a hunk of queso fresco (yes yes), and a bowl of beans (ugh theirs were pureed and soupy and fantastic). And a basket of those fresh tortillas of course (thick almost like a memelita).

After seeing the roasty chickens though, I knew I had to go back for lunch. Again, simple, uncomplicated, good. They don't skimp on the chicken, which comes with potatoes that are roasted under the chicken fat drippings and a salad with a creamy dressing that I actually enjoyed as a dip for the chicken, and unlimited refills of agua fresca. I traded Eric for his thigh piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment