Thursday, June 16, 2022

Nubian

 
Raise your hand if you knew banana flowers grew like this.
pc. Emily


I'm burying the lead here because this meal was actually the best (and last) meal of the trip.
pc. Emily

Our last stop before heading to the airport was a mostly touristy Nubian village where our guide arranged a hearty lunch for us at one of the restaurants on the Nile. More noodley rice, some sort of fall off the bone stewed meat (I'll guess cow), saucey potatoes, saucey okra, and a whole ass bowl of saucey peas. I fucking love peas. I wish my appetite was 10x what it was that day because everything was so good and if I were anywhere else, I would've taken a to-go container through the airport.
I didn't find anything specific about Nubian food recipes - so many traditions have apparently been overwritten by Egyptian food influences. If I were to try to recreate this at home, I could get as far as tomato-y and fragrant spices. Across the world cuisine board, you really can't go wrong with intense, saucey, stewed things over some plain rice. Sometimes the less aesthetically pleasing, the better, honestly. Oh my god I'm so hungry.

No comments:

Post a Comment