Friday, December 3, 2021

don't take my sauce

I can't even begin to tell you how OBSESSED I was with this scallop crudo (nuoc cham, peanuts, chilies). My first bite of this was pure Ratatouille moment. We flagged the waitress down to have her confirm what exactly was that magnificent floral herb on top that was so... something. Mexican tarragon guys. I spent the rest of the weekend with Mexican tarragon on my mind. Also the scallops were the most melt-in-your-mouth, delicately sweet, barely briny plump disks of protein gels. My only regret was letting them bus away the plate before I had a chance to drink the sauce.


My overall favorite meal on my most recent pillage to Minny was probably Bar Brava. Maybe it was the funky orange wines and fun bottle labels. Maybe it was the unintentional theme of the night of shellfish.
These cute little oysters were served with passion fruit. Love that. Only want that from now on.

The brussels sprouts just drenched in chili butter hollandaise were less crispy than I would've liked but the absolute comforter of sauce made up for that in the mean time.
We got an accidental extra piece of crunchy toast with one oily sardine on a bed of ricotta and mint, and I'd like to understand where the no cheese + fish rule came from because it fucking works.

We did not get an accidental extra shrimp mousse stuffed pepper, but it's fine. Shrimp mousse is kind of like one of those Chinese fish balls, and this pepper in its puddle of sauce was almost like eating a dumpling.

We ordered these for the name really: whitefish doughnuts. They came topped with yogurt dip and cured carrot and chives.

Brief cider intermission as we waited for our seafood paella finale with braised squid, clams, and dollops of some kind of aioli. 

No comments:

Post a Comment