Saturday, June 19, 2021

Georgie

 I found a few friends who share my pipe dream/life plan C/fantasies of fucking off and living off the land and/or starting a commune, but only one went off to farm school to... learn how to farm I guess! It's funny because I'm used to having to clarify pharm friends in pharm school is actually pharmacy, but this time we're actually talking farm farm. Georgie and I had gone on an existential hike, but only one of us actually followed through with a vision board and only one of us is currently in Vermont learning the ways of the land. Georgie identifies as British/American/Jewish, and I remember meeting her first at the movies. I believe we were there to see... Guardians of the Galaxy with several coworkers, all orchestrated by Laura - our mutual friend and queen of gatherings. 


I managed to squeeze in George's dumplings before she sold off her final things to head across the country, so these dumplings are basically a Sunday Roast in a convenient and travel-friendly parcel. It felt appropriate, since we feast for special occasions. We also feast for normal occasions, but the special ones are easier to plan for.
A Sunday roast needs a meat element, vegetable elements, and accompaniments. This beloved British meal has unclear origins, but the consensus is that this is a meal to be eaten after church. There's something so homey about setting a hunk of meat to roast all day while you're out during the day at church to come back to a ready to eat feast with all the meat drippings for a gravy. Just add veggies and potatoes (and Yorkshire pudding) and binge.
I know beef is an important centerpiece here, but I just wasn't really feeling a ground beef dumpling. Instead, I got a rotisserie chicken as a reminder of the time Laura made an Xmas Sunday roast for me.
So the filling is shredded rotisserie chicken, shaved Brussels, lots of chicken juices, and Italian seasoning. All wrapped up in a potato wrapper with more Italian seasoning. Steam fried and served with a generous drizzle of chicken gravy (plus more on the side).
Things I would do differently: I was on a mission to find Bisto gravy granules specifically but I didn't quite get around to it, so I would leave time to venture to World Market to find it next time.


Georgie's complete list:
grandma's matzah ball soup
lots of pub meals including shepherd pie, sunday roast, sticky toffee pudding
marks & spencer's sweets including colin the caterpillar cake (for every bday) and percy pigs
school desserts including pear and chocolate crumble with custard


No comments:

Post a Comment