Sunday, November 29, 2020

friendsgivings

I've never loved the holidays. I've probably talked about this a lot (i.e. once a year around the holidays...) because my family doesn't have traditions, and aside from a national agreement to take these collection of days off all crammed within a month basically, these are just like any other days. But I love them the way I love birthdays or sporting viewing events - as an excuse to gather and indulge.
Two things we are decidedly not allowed to do this year.

About a year ago, we were here.
Belated housewarming for coworker friends that was basically another friendsgiving because it was late November by the time I got my shit together to make something.
Featuring a first pass at this braised duck recipe (that turned out way better on second pass) (but could still stand a third pass for even crispier skin). And quick persimmon bars to remedy some test batches of persimmon caramels.

Also featuring my all time fave pork belly and a test vegetarian version using turnips. 


And featuring tiny little mapo tofu buns, which are now just my go-to veggie bun alternative. Made with dried bean curd, peas, doubanjiang, and spices.... ooh I bet this would be a good veg soup dumpling of sorts... like if the soupiness was like the soupiness of a big ass comfort bowl of mapo tofu.

. . .

I contributed maybe the laziest "casserole" to friendsgiving #2.
The aforementioned pork belly, scooped and spread out in the most appropriate serving dish I could find, which was not big, given how much oily fat came with and nearly overflowed. Then toss a fistfull of spaghetti into the pressure cooker with the remaining pork juices and a bit more water. Ball up the strands of fatty noodles and plunk it right on top (maybe do what I didn't do and cut it up). If I were more pressed, I would've done a better job at draining the excess fat because yes, much of it did spill into my car, and yes, my car did smell like aromatic pork fat for several days.

. . .

This year was going to be the first Thanksgiving I would have to spend alone, and it felt less manageable than it would have been any other year.
Last year, actual Thanksgiving day was spent at Michaela's with friends.
Contributions include sides:
Acorn squash stuffing layered with parmesan (ft appearance by test batch of persimmon caramel).
And mushroom + thyme galette.
I wish I could tell you more about what went into each side. But I followed no directions and have a useless memory. I can remember that I loved the mushroom galette though.

And what is Thanksgiving without some semblance of leftovers and some haphazard way of mashing it together a few days later. These scallion pancakes were intended to go with the duck, but I got lazy about frying them. Filled with leftover mapo bun filling, we got a decent vegetarian Asian equivalent of Taco Bell.

Hmm, I miss gathering.

No comments:

Post a Comment