Sunday, May 5, 2019

cinco de mayo

I've had tamale wrappers and masa in the pantry for ages. Both things have been waiting in the back of my parents' cupboards for high-school-Amelia to finally come around to making tamales. In NM, we used to keep a couple bags of frozen tamales from Sam's Club in our extra chest freezer, and I loved that shit. I would pop a few in the microwave after school and burn my tongue while watching Lizzie McGuire or Sabrina the Teenage Witch after school. Sometimes I crave a tamale for just the masa dough. 


So a Cinco de Mayo potluck was the perfect excuse to finally try to bang out some tamales.
Pork stewed in tomato-y, onion-y, red chile goodness and roasted poblano plus queso fresco.
Man this shit was labor intensive. Kneading the dough took forever, and then later I learned that they sell masa in ready-to-go dough form. Thankful the wrapping process was less finicky than it is for zongzi's.
Slow steam in broth, more red chiles, and onions (later to be blended up into a sauce), eat 2/3, freeze the other 1/3 for limited emergency nostalgia days because I'm not trying break my wrists kneading more masa dough.
Now what do I do with my remaining corn husks and masa harina?

No comments:

Post a Comment